Pages

Monday 18 May 2015

Meet My Friends

As in skincare friends!

I said I would do a post on my 'current skin care'. Although it does change rather frequently, as I'm always on the look out for other products.

OK, lets start at the beginning

Cleansers


I tend to use the Clarins Extra Comfort Cleansing Cream as my morning cleanser, although I have used it to remove makeup in the past. I probably stopped because it's not the best to take off eye makeup. It's a lovely texture and really gentle on the skin.

Note none of my cleansers are foaming.

Clinique Take The Day Off (TTDO) is a really simple cleanser which does what it says on the tin, well, jar. It comes in other forms (milk/oil) but the balm is my favourite.

So once I've removed my makeup, I always go in with a second cleanse. Depending on how my skin is feeling. Normally after work my skin is feeling GROSS so I use Soap and Glory Ultimelt which is a purifying cleanser, and makes my face feel super clean with out stripping it.

Alternatively I may use The Body Shop Camomile Balm, which is quite similar to TTDO or Neals Yard Wild Rose Beauty Balm; full of antioxidants and good stuff. The most expensive of the lot too.

It's also probably worth noting I apply all my cleansers to a dry skin and remove with a damp muslin cloth or flannel.


Toners

I only use acid toners, as they offer gentle exfoliation, and I alternate Clinique Mild Clarifying Lotion which contains salicylic acid and Clarins Gentle Exfoliator* which contains glycolic acid.

In the past I have used acid toners from Avene and La Roche Posay, but they don't quite cut it.

I have recently started using the La Roche Posay Serozinc as a kind of second toner step. It's still early days so I can't really offer an opinion yet. But it's supposed to help reduce blemishes.

*Clarins recommend this product as a weekly treatment, but my skin is quite used to the acid toners so I use it alternate days- but listen to your own skin. It does increase sensitivity to the sun, so always wear an SPF.

Serums

I'm not an experienced user of serums. I haven't found a 'problem skin' serum I really liked, so I use a hydrating one. 

Any good serum for dehydrated skin will contain hyaluronic acid like Vichy Aqualia Thermal serum is actually one of the few products I have repurchased more than once. It's a beautiful texture, and suits my combination skin. Previously I have tried Clarins HydraQuench bi-phase serum, which does essentially the same thing, but I preferred this one.

I know I said I wasn't keen on problem skin serums, but I do have the Vichy Night Detox which I have used on and off for a while now. Not a particularly avid fan though.

Moisturisers

I'm unsure whether you should use different moisturisers for different purposes like with cleansers or serums. 

Either way, I only have one which is the Vichy Aqua Thermal, to match the serum. As you can see it's practically empty, and I have brought a backup. But thats not to say I wouldn't change if another came along. I haven't seen anything that takes my fancy yet!


Oils

As I said, I only have one moisturiser, and I don't get along with night creams, so I use Clarins Blue Orchid Oil. It's a hydrating treatment oil and smells gorgeous. 

I normally apply it on it's own after cleansing, and occasionally I will use it after the Vichy Night Detox. It lasts for ages too, as you use such a small amount.

Treatments 


In the lead up to my wedding I wanted my skin to be as good as it could be, so I bought a more intense glycolic and salicylic acid from Bravura, which make the Dermaflannel I have previously written about. 

These are nightly 'peel' treatments, although NONE OF YOUR SKIN PEELS OFF. I would highly recommend these products, as they are so affordable (under a tenner) and work incredibly, but please only use them after an email consultation they offer on their website. 

Finally I try to use the Clarins HydraQuench mask once a week... But it's more like once a month.
It's a lovely cream mask, so it doesn't set, and it's super at getting the hydration back into the skin and making it look plumped up and healthy!


As you can see, it's not too extensive- or expensive. I've managed to find a lot of great products that my skin loves that don't cost the earth!

You also don't have to stick to products that are solely for your skin type. Hardly any of my products are specifically for a oily/ combination skin.

What skin care product can you not live without?

Which part of your routine are you looking to change?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, I love reading them!