Pages

Saturday 17 May 2014

Buying Makeup - Tips and Tricks

Although I love buying makeup, sometimes it can me a bit of a 'mare; finding the right shade, best coverage or a long lasting palette.

I've been pondering about doing this post for a few weeks, as I'm sure a lot of you have your own criteria when it comes to buying makeup, and I didn't want to leave something out, because I felt it was too obvious.

So I thought I could post a few of my personal top tips, then people can suggest their go-to procedures in the comments too!

In no particular order here are some of my tips and tricks when buying makeup!

1. When trying out lip shades, most people apply the testers on the back of their hand, but if you apply it to your finger tip you get the colour which will show on your lips as there is a similar blood supply.

2. Need to know which mascara gives you the thickest lashes? Ask an assistant if they have disposable mascara wands to apply the product, this prevents cross-contamination between customers using the testers.
Alternatively, you can pick up a pack from a wholesalers and take your own.

3. Always test foundation on your face, preferably by the jawline to avoid getting the tide marks.

4. Leave the foundation on for a while, because some products oxidise, making them a shade or two darker over time.
This will also give you an indication as to how long-lasting the product is.

5. Go into daylight to double check the foundation is the correct shade. The fluorescent lighting in department store often don't show the products as their true colours. Remember to pack your compact mirror!

6. Wondering why that eyeliner makes three dots instead of a fluid line? Don't be afraid to ask how a certain product works; counter assistants have a vast knowledge of their products, and may be able to show you how to use a product in multiple ways.

7. Can't find the tester for the product you want to try? Don't open a sealed product, it will irritate the staff. I can speak from experience!

8. Want to test a kohl pencil or lip liner? Ask an assistant if there is a sharpener, this makes it hygienic for you and other customers.

9. Similarly, don't test a product on your face if you have a cold-sore, eye infection or other contagious skin problem. It's not nice to spread infection.

10. To test a face or eye primer, apply the product to your inner forearm, then apply a foundation or eye shadow over the top, then see how long it stays on your skin. Some eye primers even make the product more vivid, so great for a long-lasting evening look!


So there are 10 of my tips, did you do any of these? 
Or learn something new?
I'd love to hear some of your tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, I love reading them!